My love for banana bread is real! Very real. I could eat it every day, if… If it just would be less sweet or just not sweet all. Meaning NO additional sugar from maple syrup, agave etc.. Don’t get me wrong, not that I don’t appreciate sweets. It’s just my body does not do well with any kind of sugar and I have to pay for that with bloating & sometimes even stomach ache. That’s why I just used 3 bananas for a slightly sweet taste (you guys will probably think it’s not sweet at all, lol), lots of chocolate powder & seeds.
Yeasted & Unsweetened Chocolate Banana Bread
- 250 g banana (3 bananas), peeled
- 120 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 tbsp coconut oil
- 10 tbsp almond milk (or other plant based milk)
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 220 g sprouted spelt flour (or whole wheat)
- 50 g vanilla pea protein
- 50 g pecans, chopped
- 50 g pumpkin seeds
- 2 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon powder1 pinch of salt
- 1 banana, peeled
- Using a blender, mix bananas, cocoa powder, coconut oil, almond milk, apple cider vinegar & salt. Add mixture to a bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients except for the banana and combine well.
- Place a big piece of parchment paper in a cake pan and pour batter in. Cover well and let sit in a warm place for approx. 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Towards the end of the 2h, preheat oven to 360F (180C).
- Cut banana in half and place on top of mixture.
- Bake in the oven for approx. 50 min or until nicely browned. (In doubt if done, poke batter with a wooden stick, if comes out dry, then it is done, if not bake for a couple more minutes.