Peanut butter and me, we are friends. I “take” peanut butter wherever I go and literally everything tastes better with my peanut butter, would you agree? Life is just better with peanuts in it. Do it like me, add peanut butter to everything and life will be better!
This sauce becomes super creamy and flavorful, especially served with some golden turmeric rice. Fresh and sour limes add to a rounder taste and my happiness – for sure!
You can totally be creative here and switch the veggies, use carrtos, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts etc. I can not think of a vegetable that would not fit in here. Ready? Let’s cook.
Turmeric Flavored Rice with Chickpea & Bell Pepper in Peanut Butter Sauce
Prep time:Cook time: 30Total time: 50 min
Serves: 4-5 servings
- 400 g white rice
- 2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1 onion, peeled &
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 knob (4 cm) of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp. paprika powder
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 6 tbsp. of peanut butter
- 400 ml almond milk, unsweetened
- 300 g canned chickpeas
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 5 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp. Red pepper
- 4 limes, quartered
- TURMERIC RICE: RICE COOKER METHOD: Cook rice in a rice cooker adding 400g of water, turmeric powder and salt. Stir well and let cook. If cooking rice on the stovetop, follow these directions:
- STOVETOP: In a covered small saucepan, bring 600g of water to a boil over high heat. Add rice, turmeric and salt. Stir, Cover and bring to a boil. Once water starts boiling, reduce to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 minutes. DO NOT REMOVE THE LID TO CHECK IF RICE IS DONE – heat will escape and rice will take longer to cook. Without removing the lid, remove pot from heat and let the rice sit covered for 10 minutes.
- SAUCE: Cut bell pepper and zucchini into thin slices. Without using any oil, add bell pepper and zucchini into a non stick pan and roast for 5 min over high heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan.
- Thinly dice onion, garlic and ginger and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan. Add all spices and roast for 2-3 minutes over medium to high heat.
- Add onion, ginger, garlic and sugar. Cook until translucent.
- In the meantime combine almond milk and peanut butter in a bowl and stir well until no pieces left (use a blender if more convenient). Add to pan and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to a medium heat and add roasted bell pepper, zucchini and chickpeas. Stir well and cook for 5 min, stirring constantly.
- Add lime juice and combine. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice, topped with fresh cilantro, bell pepper & fresh limes.