When I was a kid, my mum would often get rye bread from the bakery from around the corner. This one taste exactly like it – it is very moist and full in flavor. Another great and quick recipe, Claudio! I was so hungry, that I couldn’t wait to cut it as you can tell by one of the following pictures…ya, you should never cut a bread while it is still hot! What can I say – I just couldn’t resist. Sorry!
Rye Sourdough Bread
Prep time: Cook time: Total time:
Day 1 – Sourdough:
- 125 g water
- 125 g rye flour
- 12.5 g sourdough starter
Day 2 – Dough:
- 200 g bread flour (Type 550)
- 675 g rye flour
- 675 g water
- 23 g salt
- Day 1 – Sourdough: In a bowl mix all ingredients for the sourdoughÂ and let sit coveredÂ at room temperature for 10-14 hours.
- Day 2 – Dough: In a bowl, combine all ingredients for the dough and knead on low speed for 4 minutes, finish kneading on high speed for 1 minute.
- Transfer dough onto a floured surface, shape into a ball and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 3 pieces and shape each into a ball. Transfer into a proofing basket facing upside down. After a while you’ll notice some cracks. Sprinkle over some extra flour and distribute evenly.
- Let rest for 1-1.5 hours until dough is ready to be baked applying the finger test! If you press one finger into the dough and the mark disappears slowly, the dough is ready to be baked.
- Preheat the oven to 260°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer dough onto the baking sheet and bake, with falling temperature (200°C) for 50-55 minutes until golden brown