Pulled BBQ Jackfruit anyone? Slightly spicy & sweet and super moist & flavorful. Perfect over rice, pasta, potatoes, in a sandwich or burger. This recipe is a perfect party dish that easily replaces any meat dish without a problem.
Pulled BBQ Jackfruit
Prep time: 5Cook time: 20 Total time:
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 can of jackfruit, drained
- 1 tsp. coconut sugar (or agave nectar)
- 350 g (1.5 cup) barbecue sauce
- 100 g (1/2 cup) vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 pinch of chili flakes
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 4 cups of cooked white rice*
- In a medium-sized pan, heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic and cook over medium heat for 10 min or until brown-ish, stirring occasionally.
- Chop up jackfruit and add along with coconut sugar, barbecue sauce, vegetable broth, chili flakes and tomato paste to pan. Combine well and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium and let cook for 10-15 minutes (without lid), adding more vegetable broth or water if necessary.
- Serve pulled jackfruit with rice.
*Instead of rice you can use any grain of your choice like quinoa, buckwheat, millet etc.