Vegan meatballs anyone? I was never a fan of meatballs actually. Vegan meatballs, on the other hand, I did not have to learn to love, instead, it was love at the first sight! I was impressed how great these one turned out. Super soft, moist and tender. Easy to freeze and used with sauces, sandwiches, burritos, pastas, bowls, they become great and quick to go to’s once premade… Just great! I could go on forever.
‘Meat’-Ball-icious with Cashew Caper Dressing
Prep time: 20Cook time: 20Total time: 40
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 white onion, peeled, halved & diced
- 180 g oats
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and pressed
- 4 tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. paprika powder
- 1 tbsp. sweet chili sauce (optional)
- 1 pinch of chili flakes
- 6 tbsp. olive oil for cooking
CASHEW CAPER DRESSING:
- 40 g cashews
- 2 tbsp. capers
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tsp. miso paste
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. agave nectar
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 60 g soy milk
- 4 handful of mixed greens
- 4 handful of cooked brown rice pasta
- 1/4 white onion, finely sliced
- 2 handful cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, peeled, cored and sliced
- MEATBALLS: Heat a pan with olive oil. Add onion and cook over medium to high heat until browned while stirring (roasted onions will give ‚meat’-balls a very meaty-ish taste!) Remove from pan.
- Using a food processor, pulverize HALF the oats to oat flour & remove into a bigger bowl.
- Add remaining oats to food processor with black beans, garlic & parsley. Pulse until finely chopped and well combined. Add to bowl with oat flour.
- Add roasted onions, tomato paste, paprika powder, sweet chili sauce, chili flakes & season with salt & pepper.
- Using your hands, combine well and form into approx. 1.5 inch (4 cm) sized balls. Heat a pan with olive oil and cook ‚meat’-balls from all sides until golden/brown. Remove from pan.
- CASHEW CAPER DRESSING: Add all ingredients for the dressing in a mixer and blend well (approx. 1 min). Season with pepper and salt.
- ALSO: Serve ‚meat’balls with dressing & remaining ingredients.