Not only vegans are falafel fans, right? These little ones come in a vivid red from the added beets. As you’ve probably already noticed, I like to give my food extra color through natural ingredients like beets, spinach, spirulina, turmeric… Not only you switch up or enhance the color, you also add nutritional value to your dish. So why not?
Beetroot Falafel Salad with Cashew Dill Dressing
Prep time:Cook time: 10Total time: 30
BEETROOT FALAFEL (6 pieces):
- 30 g flax seeds
- 110 g beets, peeled and halved
- 250 g chickpeas, drained
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and pressed
- 10 g cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 60 g whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- oil for frying
CASHEW DILL DRESSING:
- 100 g Cashews
- 140 g soy milk
- 10 g dill
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 4 handful baby spinach
- 6 radishes, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp. dill, chopped
- BEETROOT FALAFEL (6 pieces): Pulverize flax seeds in a food processor.
- Add beets and process until finely chopped.
- All remaining ingredients for the falafel and process until well combined and no big pieces left.*
- Heat a medium-sized skillet with oil. Form 6 falafel 6,5 x 6,5 cm (2.5 x 2.5 inch) and fry on both sides for 1 min over medium heat. Place falafel on a plate and set aside.
- CASHEW DILL DRESSING: Add all ingredients for the cashew dill dressing into a blender and mix for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl, combine spinach, radishes and dill. Drizzle with cashew dill dressing and serve with falafel.
*If your food processor is not big enough, you might want to process beets and chickpeas separately and combine all ingredients by hand in a bowl after.